15 Nov 2014

Retro Caravan Craft Space...

I've made no secret that I would Love A Craft Space all of my own!
I have a lovely large family, but we have a regular sized house and there simply isn't enough room for all my bits and bobs.

I thought about a new shed down the garden but in my heart of hearts I knew what I really wanted was a little caravan!

As always I had no budget.  So I knew it would be a waiting game for the right little van to come along....

and along it came!

It was terribly expensive
a whole £10 was handed over in exchange for this


A 1992 {I think} Sprite


It was and still is in a right old state!

I've said it before but the 'I could do that' attitude has taken me on many a crafty/DIY venture.  
From papering the walls, ripping the tiles off the kitchen and re-tiling, endless painting, furniture restoration, crochet, baking, tiara making, sewing... 
the list is literally endless.

It had been used by a young lad working away from home and was full of fag ash, butts, filthy clothes and vile bedding.  The real cherry on the cake was the HUGE bottle of pee he had left in it.
Filthy after months on a building site...in all honesty it was tempting to leave it behind, cut my losses and run to the hills

But I didn't.

I set about clearing the piles of crap and in the process found £1.83 in change, 2 PS3 controllers and a pile of DVD's with a 2nd hand value of around £20!! Oh and a nice pair of Wrangler jeans that my son can wear for work.



Inside was, on the surface, ok-ish.  
Filthy dirty but loked quite sound...
oh how wrong could I be!

With a screwdriver, a hammer and a dream I've set about gutting the van out.  
Bonkett seating has gone, the sink and hob ripped out.  If it didn't unscrew the hammer took care of it.

I've left one seat to store the awning 
{haven't checked it yet but hopeful it will be ok}
and the washroom wall has been left so I can create a bit of a storage space for the ugly bits.

The carpet had it's own eco-system and also went to the dump.

So whats left to do?...

Deepest of Deep Breaths

It has damp, lots of damp and that will be the biggest challenge. 

This is taking me way, way, beyond my comfort zone or ability

again


You have to break a few eggs to make an omelet...


and looks like you have to almost destroy an old caravan to bring it back to glory




4 days into the project that's where I'm at.

The work will be slow, done when I can afford it.
The aim is to have it in the garden for Summer 2015...but we'll wait and see!






1 comment:

  1. Oh my! I am so envious!This will be awesome, I know you can make it fabulous. Please post lots of photos as you work on it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...I love to hear what you think
Nicky
x